SOWK 3303 CTAMU Civil Rights in America Social Work Diverse Population Discussion
Answer the following questions by double-spacing.
- Select any individual person or particular event that you believe made a meaningful contribution to the American Civil Rights Movement. Briefly explain how that person or event contributed and why you selected him/her/it as being important. (5 points)
- In recent years some southern states’ legislatures have expressed public apologies regarding slavery. Do you think this has made any difference? Why or why not? (3 points)
- Why do you believe the rate of HIV/AIDS infections became a crisis in the black communities of the US after 2000? What is one idea you have for how this could change? (3 points)
- You have been working with the mother of a child who has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and ADHD, trying to help her child be more successful in school. Today she tells you that she doubts this will ever happen because her son’s teacher is a racist. What would you say or do as a social worker? (4 points)
- We have seen a tremendous increase in visibility of the Black Lives Matter movement in recent months. What is your opinion of this movement as a factor in the ongoing civil rights efforts in this country? What do you think has been its most positive effect on us, and do you believe there have been any negative effects? (4 points)