PSY 410 SUNY Morrisville Short Film The Dark Matter of Love Questions
Dr. Robert Marvin, from the University of Virginia School of Medicine, believes that science can help create a family. By working through Dr. Marvin’s program, the Diaz family is being connected with the latest scientific discoveries into how evolution has hard-wired parents and children to interact in ways that optimize a child’s development. Dr. Marvin believes that he can help them create an environment in which Masha, Marcel and Vadim can build supportive, loving relationships.
As you are watching the movie, makes some notes about the following:
Who is Cami?
Who is Masha?
Who are Marcel and Vadim?
Then answer the following questions thoroughly and clearly in a separate WORD document that you will submit here. Be sure to number the questions on your paper. You paper does not have to be written like a research paper. You can itemize the questions. But be thorough!
As you answer these questions, refer to both the video and the articles you read (including the articles you found for your annotated bibliography). Try to cite each article at least once. Cite any facts you take from any articles using APA style. You will need to include a reference page that lists any article you cited as you answered these questions.
- What is Claudio’s biggest problem as a parent? (That is, what gets in the way of him being the best parent he can be?) Think about his own issues with his parents, his personality, his relationship with Cami and Cheryl, and think about what his parenting style is.
- What is Cheryl’s biggest problem as a parent? Think about her own issues with her parents, her personality, her relationship with Cami and Claudio, and think about what her parenting style is.
- How can a scientific program help form a more loving family? Be specific and refer to specific facts or examples from the research you read in the articles.
- In what ways do you think parents are “hard-wired” to care for their biological offspring? Be specific and refer to specific facts from the research you read in the articles.
- Are children also “hard-wired” to encourage a certain kind of parenting? Be specific and refer to specific facts from the research you read in the articles.
- What do Cheryl and Claudio do right to encourage the development of appropriate attachment behaviors? Base this answer on at least 3 pieces of information from the 2 attachment articles you read. Be sure to cite the article correctly.
- What do Cheryl and Claudio do wrong, in terms of encouraging the development of appropriate attachment behaviors? Base this answer on at least 3 pieces of information from the 2 attachment articles you read. Be sure to cite the article correctly.
- How is Masha’s childhood prior to leaving Russia similar to Tom’s childhood?
- How is Masha’s childhood prior to leaving Russia different from Tom’s childhood?
- Based on what you read in the articles, what sorts of attachment disorders do you think these 3 children might have (or would have had if they hadn’t been adopted)? Be sure to tell me how the boys are different from Masha? How were their formative years in Russia different? How might these differences result in the boys having a different set of issues to deal with than Masha?
- Please tell me 1 things from each of the articles you found for your annotated bibliography that could be applied to this family’s situation or these children.
- Don’t forget to include a reference page.