IWU Potential Theoretical Framework For Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Discussion
In this activity, you will review the theoretical perspectives and approaches covered in your coursework thus far, and consider how you have integrated those perspectives and approaches into your work at your field placement, as well as ongoing opportunities to do so in your future practice. You will reflect on the role of theory in your work in a brief paper submission.
- Textbook: The Social Work Practicum: A Guide and Workbook for Students
- File: APA 6e Guide.pdf
Integration of theory into conceptualization and practice is essential to the ethical and effective practice of social work. Best practice is centered on using skills and knowledge based in evidence of “what works” for individuals. Depending on the client population, social worker role(s), and the agency where you have been working this term, the specific theoretical models you have integrated may be different from your classmates’. It is your awareness and transparent use of theory that is most important.
- Review the rubric to make sure you understand the criteria for earning your grade.
- Review this list of important theoretical models and approaches covered in the coursework thus far. This list is not exhaustive, and you may consider other models and approaches that have been discussed in this or other courses or used at your field placement.
- Ecosystems perspective
- Human rights perspective
- Strengths / Empowerment theories
- Theories of lifespan development
- Theories of human behavior
- Social learning theory
- Cognitive behavioral approach
- Solution-focused approach
- Narrative theory
- Psychoanalytic theory
- Attachment theory
- Culturally competent approaches
- Choose at least two theoretical models or approaches and describe consider how they have been integrated into work at your field placement.
- Give examples of how they have been used by you or your agency to engage, assess, intervene and evaluate clients.
- Why have they been appropriate for use with your specific client population(s), role, and agency?
- In your answer, describe how the theories intersect with the specific needs and cultural dynamics of your client population(s). Give specific examples of your client population with their unique characteristics and how the theory works with them.
- Choose at least one theoretical model or approach you would like to integrate into your practice in the future. Why do you think this model or approach would be beneficial to your work? How will it help you to engage, assess, intervene or evaluate clients? Be specific and use examples.
- Incorporate your answers to the questions and prompts in Steps 2 and 3 into a two-to three page, APA-formatted document.
- Provide specific examples to demonstrate each of your points concerning the two theoretical models or approaches you discuss. Be sure to reference and cite course materials or other sources when discussing theories.
- Consider real and hypothetical scenarios as a social work student and a future professional social worker.
- Your writing should be well developed, providing clear answers with evidence of critical thinking and incorporating course materials using proper in-text citations, and references to support your ideas.
- As you write your response to the questions, review the APA guidelines on how to cite sources correctly in the APA 6e Guide.pdf document.
- Use subheadings to organize your responses.
- Before finalizing your work, ensure that you have:
- 12-point, double-spaced Times New Roman font
- One-inch margins on all sides
- Normal character spacing
- In-text citations
- Title page and reference page
- Properly formatted headings (Introduction, Body, Conclusion, References)
- Responded to each question in the activity and used the spelling and grammar check.