In this discussion you will discuss the humanities and contemporary culture and answer the following questions:
1. Identify an artifact that represents the characteristics of each of the eras: Ancient, Middle Ages, and Renaissance. You should identify a total of three artifacts. Insert an image or include a link to your artifact.
2. What do you believe was the purpose for the creation of each of the artifacts you selected? Justify your response using what you now know about the culture and values of each era.
3. Why do you believe the creators felt the need to express themselves using these artifacts?
4. HUMANITIES: How do you think aspects of contemporary culture have influenced the humanities and creative expression?
5. What do you see as the main value of human creative expression for contemporary culture?
6. Open worksheet: Identify an artifact that embodies or refers to ethical values, and write a sentence stating what the ethical connection is. Examples of such artifacts are provided in the resources this week, but they may also be found in literature, other forms of music, live performing arts such as theater, and other visual arts.
7. Worksheet: Review the article Making Asian American Women Visible: The Joy Luck Club and complete the second table using information provided in this activity.
In the first column, identify an example from the article demonstrating how Tan’s novel reflects the experience of a particular ethnic group. Then, in the second column, find an example in the article that appears to be part of universal human experience and not limited to Chinese American culture.
Based on the description in the article, what influence might Tan’s novel, and similar artifacts, have on broader American culture? Can you think of another artifact that has had a similar impact?
Search online for a news report about an artifact from the humanities involved in a religious controversy, and answer the following questions. Consider searching the religion section of CNN or similar sources.
8. Provide a link to the news story and write a short (2- to 3-sentence) summary of each side’s position.
9. How do you think the controversy was impacted by each party’s interpretation of this artifact?
Place an order in 3 easy steps. Takes less than 5 mins.