Which of the following options best describes how energy flows through a consumer?
- organic molecules → catabolic reactions → ATP → anabolic reactions and other cellular work
- inorganic molecules → ATP → organic molecules → anabolic reactions and other cellular work
- ATP → anabolic reactions → organic molecules → catabolic reactions → anabolic reactions and other cellular work
- organic molecules → anabolic reactions → ATP → catabolic reactions
Most adult humans consume about 2,000 Calories of food energy each day. What might happen to the energy from this food? Select ALL that apply.
- It could be used in the synthesis of fat or other body tissues.
- It could be destroyed by the digestion process.
- It could be used to generate movement, allowing you to climb a mountain or do other activities.
- It could be transformed into heat and released from your body.
- It could be excreted as undigested waste in feces, still in its original chemical form.
A compound that is widely used to provide energy to anabolic pathways is:
Which of the following statements is true?
- Anabolic reactions are only found in photosynthetic organisms.
- Anabolic reactions convert complex molecules to simpler ones.
- Anabolic reactions produce energy.
- Catabolic reactions convert complex molecules to simpler molecules.