LENGTH: 1,500 words minimum
Based on the books, literature and films we have studied so far—or similar Afrofuturism works you find during your research—craft an essay discussing your understanding of the themes in Afrofuturism and their meaning, context and/or effectiveness. You should refer to the course work and at least two sources—which would include quoting from the works themselves. (Outside scholarship is required—and article or blog post, for example—but you must discuss at least one class work.) Be as specific as possible.
POSSIBLE APPROACHES: You may write a compare and contrast essay about two or more of the works we have studied (or comparing a work we have studied to another outside of class); an analysis of two or more works; or present a specific argument (i.e. argumentative essay) that you then use your analysis of works to bolster. You should have a thesis statement in your first paragraph and lay out your subtopics. Each paragraph introducing a new subject or idea should have a topic sentence.
FORMAT: Assignments MUST be emailed as a Word document (or Word compatible) or PDF. You must write DOUBLE-SPACED in a 12-pt font, preferably Times New Roman. The word count will be weighed more heavily than the page count, so do not rely upon specialty fonts to increase your page count. Again, it is best to use Times New Roman. Essays may be formatted in MLA or APA style, but all citations should be cited in a Works Cited page. DEADLINE: You will receive full credit for turning your paper in on time as long as I receive it by midnight PST on May 30. Late papers will be marked down. Here are some prompts (though you may choose your own topics):
• What does Wakanda represent in Afrofuturism? What are some of the benefits and pitfalls of Wakanda as imagined in Black Panther (film or series)? What social issues are addressed in Black Panther and how can they be relevant in the real world? Be sure to mention at least one other work from class.
• How is technology used in Dirty Computer and other works of Afrofuturism?
• How can Reginald Hudlin’s film “The Space Traders” and John Sayles’s The Brother from Another Planet be viewed through a contemporary lens? What statements are the authors making about the value of black lives in the United States?
• How do authors use science fiction to discuss the horrors of slavery?
• How is procreation discussed in Children of Men and/or other works? How do authors/filmmakers view women’s bodies and childbearing?
• What worlds are imagined in the music of George Clinton, Sun Ra and Janelle Monáe? What are common threads between their music and/or the film and literature we have discussed in class? OR: Compare/contrast music to books or films.
• What themes emerge in the post-apocalyptic Parable of the Sower and/or The Children of Men and other works? How does dystopian fiction provide a lens through which to view our contemporary issues, i.e. drought?
• Discuss the Earthseed religion in Parable of the Sower. What role does it serve? Do you agree with or disagree with its basic tenets? Why or why not?
• Parable of the Sower, Lion’s Blood and other works discuss community building. How do these authors’ visions of community resonate in our current world? What components make a community? Do you agree or disagree with the authors’ approaches?
• How might the study of Afrofuturism help direct and/or enliven the Black Lives Matter movement? USE SPECIFIC EXAMPLES FROM WORKS.
• Discuss ways in which class works use physical manipulation and human technology to depict an Afrofuturistic world. What do the technologies
Effectively states a significant and well-considered thesis related to Afrofuturism. Expresses a clear opinion or question and logically lays out the essay’s subtopics early.
Fully develops each component of the thesis with solid arguments/analysis using at least one secondary source. Demonstrates insightful interpretation with persuasive, thoughtful arguments/analysis.
Maintains appropriate grammar and usage. (The paper is carefully proofread; does not have misspelled words, grammatical errors. The writing is college level.)
Demonstrates a purposeful, coherent system of organization.
Shows superior originality in thoughts and perception. Sentences are well constructed and clearly expressed. Has an elegant, well- stated conclusion.
Place an order in 3 easy steps. Takes less than 5 mins.